When I arrived in Japan, two things happened. First, Facebook noticed that my internet connection was in Japan, and kept asking me in the information at the top of my profile what my blood type was. I thought it was a weird thing to ask. A week later when I was at my host family stay, they asked me what my blood type was. I said I didn’t know. Then, my friend Michelle provided me with a very useful website; combined with other internet research I have conducted, here is what I have found out.
There is a popular belief in Japan and other Asian countries that a person’s ABO blood type is predictive of his or her personality, temperament, and compatibility with others, similar to how astrological signs are used in the west. However, blood type in Japan plays a much more predominant role in Japanese society than astrology does in the West. Discussion of blood types is widely popular in women’s magazines as a way of comparing relationship compatibility. There are blood type horoscopes, and on Japanese Wikipedia, blood type is among the first attributes listed in the for celebrities. Although there is no proven correlation between blood type and personality (or astrological signs), it remains a popular matchmaking strategy. Asking one’s blood type is common in Japan, and people are often surprised when someone doesn’t know his or her own blood type. (OOPS!) It is common among anime and manga authors to mention their character’s blood types, as well as for video game series to allow for blood type as an option in their creation modes.
Here are typical personality traits for specific blood types. Do you fit the mold?
- Type A: Earnest, creative, sensible, reserved, patient, responsible, over-earnest, stubborn, tense
- Type B: Wild, active, doer, creative, passionate, strong, selfish, irresponsible, unforgiving, unpredictable
- Type AB: Cool, controlled, rational, sociable, adaptable, critical, indecisive, forgetful, irresponsible, “split personality”
- Type O: Agreeable, sociable, optimistic, vain, rude, jealous
Compatibility by Blood Groups:
- A is said to be most compatible with A and AB
- B is said to be most compatible with B and AB
- AB is said to be most compatible with AB, B, A and O
- O is said to be most compatible with O, and AB